Stakes Is High
Been bumpin this jawn all week tho.
” We’re discovering one of the universe’s greatest creative wonders, star birth… Jets of gas, exploding outwards at 200,000 kilometers an hour, blasting dust and gas out for millions of kilometers, It’s unbelievably violent - but look at the results, it’s beyond words. Nebula, vast glowing clouds of gas, hanging in space. With no wind out here, they’ll take thousands of years to disperse. They seem to be forming a vast stellar sculpture, and makes you realize nature is more than a scientist and engineer - It’s an artist on the grandest of scales. We’ve seen some strange sights, but this is a masterpiece. “
- Journey to the Edge of the Universe (2008)
NEW SINGLE ‘DON’T WANNA GO THE OTHER WAY’, 22nd OCTOBER One Little Indian,
*Cody Appears on ‘Later With Jools Holland’, October 30th*
“… channels the boyish romance of early Marvin Gaye and the injured, weather beaten timbre of Bill Withers.” 8/10 UNCUT
“A pretty spectacular comeback” Evening Standard
Landing On A Hundred (October 29th), Cody’s CHesnuTT’s first full album of new material in a decade is preceded by a single, Don’t Wanna Go The Other Way through One Little Indian on 22nd October.
Susu musicians with a djembe and balafo
(photograph of unknown origin presented at the International Colonial Exhibition of Paris in 1931)
L’Afrique par elle-meme : un siecle de photographie africaine, collectif, catalogue de l’exposition, 6 mai-28 septembre 2003, Musee royal de l’Afrique central de Tervuren (Belgique). Edition de la revue noire, 2003.
Saint-louisienne, Saint-Louis, Senegal.
Soul II Soul | Keep on Moving (1989)
- a. all the hair, especially the dancing woman who is feeling her curly bowl cut
- b. it’s so right in October (and year round in the UK) to remind yourself that yellow is the colour of sun rays, although growing up I thought Wheeler was singing “yellow is the colour of some days,” which is also good
- c. Caron Wheeler’s long black leather coat cf. My Aunt Tracey
- d. I love (& need) the exhortation to keep on moving; it’s easy to get bogged down or to stagnate when money is tight and the grind is the first and last thing on your mind
- e. It’s fitting that the last shot is of water, across which black people have been moving and being moved for centuries. The song is the fruit of many crossings & indexes a late ’80s black british confidence
Reblogging myself because true to my itinerant life, I’m moving again.